A few days ago, I was reviewing offers with my clients. They paused and said, "you know, you do more than most agents, why?" I have found that most real estate agents are very generous, but who knows? Before I answer the question, here are some of the things I have done for past clients pretty much pro bono.
- help prepare and run estate sales
- crack a safe (who would have thought?)
- hang a fire door with my client
- paint odds and ends to sharpen up a house. In my past life, I owned Henson Paining.
- place bark in flower beds
- help with rudimentary staging and/or hire a staging specialist for a consultation
- repair a crack in the drywall (see below)
- act as a chauffeur
- run items to the local Goodwill or, in some cases, to the dump
- One time, I received a frantic phone call from a listing agent. Her client had not even started packing to leave and we had just closed the transaction so I became a mover. Luckily, it was a mobile home.
Can you spot the repaired drywall?
So why do I do it?
My dad told me to run a successful company, I needed to do more than others. In other words, under promise and over deliver. As a painting contractor, this was difficult. The margins were small, but I always managed to do a little something extra. My company grew without advertising. Real estate is different. There are better margins and I really like the business. I am grateful for being in a business that I enjoy and that the margins are a bit better.
I treat every client like a friend. Clients deserve great service. Friends deserve even more. I am very grateful that I work with so many friends and clients that will become friends.
Most importantly, life has been good to me and I am in a position that I do not have to make that last dollar. I am extremely grateful that I am in a position that allows me to do a little extra for my clients. Here is the interesting thing. The client above. The one that asked me, "why?" They offered to pay me more than my original fee. Of course, the customer is always right, but I ignored them in this particular matter. And of course, my work is not pro bono. I do alright.
Challenge #1 Post-A Great Round of Golf!
Challenge #2-Post-Running a Half Marathon is for Crazy People
Challenge #4-Coming Soon!
Raymond Henson, SRES, GRI, e-Pro
3412 Babson Drive
Elk Grove, CA 95758